As I look ahead to 2014, I marvel that it will be the Year that I celebrate turning 60 and becoming a true pilgrim (a wanderer or traveler) for 40 days of walking and exploring the Camino Santiago de Compostela. Last year at this time I had no plans for walking the Camino. I was originally planning a 2 week trip to the North West Territories with friends to celebrate my 60th. In the early spring I had a change of heart. I cannot remember why the Camino Trail became my new travel choice but my friend and fellow walker Marta was as excited as I was and the decision was firmed up. I am proud of how far I have progressed in 2013 on my training and preparation for my Camino sojourn.
Only 9 out of 22 of my resolutions for 2014 are Camino related (Items 1,2,7,8,9,11,12,13,17). The remaining resolutions support:
- My yarn addiction
- My constant struggle to de-clutter and simplify my life
- Remembering to focus on my key priorities and values: family, friends, kindness, respect, balance, accountability, good health and enjoying life
Marion’s 2014 New Year’s Resolutions
- Complete my 200 hour Yoga Instructor Training by April 2014
- Complete 2 Yoga practices each day during the Camino Trail (before and after walking)
- Learn how to weave with my new Knitters Loom and use up some of my yarn stash
- Finish 10 yarn projects from my stash before I buy any new yarn
- De-clutter (and simplify) with small jobs.
- Adhere to the 1 minute rule-always finish a task that takes less than 1 minute e.g. put umbrella away, hang up coat
- Follow and complete my full Camino training plan by May 16. Keep plan status up-to-date.
- Walk the Camino Trail in 40 days-starting May 19 and finishing by June 27
- Keep my Camino blog posts current before, during and after the trip
- Complete a 10 minute tidy up at the end of each day (will make a difference)
- Lose 13 pounds (lost 12 in 2013) to reach 25 pound total
- Cook and eat healthier-more protein and fiber (keep a log) as part of my Camino Training
- Have a collection of 25 (healthy) recipes -posted in my blog by the end of year
- Be in St John’s NFLD on my 60th birthday (Oct 9 2014)
- Plan a small accomplishment each day, both work and personal. No matter what else happens each day feel good about the small accomplishments. Bring some balance and perspective to the day.
- At least 15 minutes of meditation each day
- Once I finish the Camino, begin piano lessons again
- Call good friends more often (keep a log and cycle through)
- Remember that what you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while
- Be kind everyday-at least one good deed a day
- Lighten up-Life is too short to be so serious (Remind myself each day)
- Focus on family. Speak to at least two family members by phone each week. Keep in touch.
To kick-off New Year’s Resolution item # 13, here is the link to 3 new healthy recipes:
- Marion’s Camino Spelt High Protein and Fiber Muffins with Banana, Coconut, Dark Chocolate
- Marion’s Camino High Protein and Fiber Muffins with Dark Chocolate and Fruit
- Marion’s Camino Lemon Chia Seed Protein Loaf
I hope everyone is excited as I am to welcome in 2014. I’d love your feedback! And don’t forget to leave a link back to your own blog too if you have one via the commentluv feature here on the site.
Happy New Year and Buen Camino,